Pages

Thursday, March 12, 2015

And Final Iceland Days...


My last days in Iceland were difficult. As you may know, I had to leave early and it was an emotional and stressful departure. There was so much to do in a very short period of time. I had to move out of the residency, deinstall In Between, say my goodbyes, and tie-up my life in Reykjavík; it's not like I was leaving my apartment in the U.S. I was also very aware of not doing too much in that time and I really tried to do only what was necessary. It was a hard time but I was able to enjoy a few last views and had wonderful support from many dear friends.

And, I can happily say I did everything I wanted to do in those two months. I completed my black island and developed two other pieces for my upcoming solo show at Sienna Patti Contemporary. (These works are still in progress; I just wanted to get them both to a place where I understood their basic meaning and my intentions. The next move is to make them here in the U.S.) I read about Louise Bourgeois and Jóhannes Sveinsson Kjarval, finding so much in both artists that resonates with me. I took many walks and visited all my favorite places around the Reykavík. I went on several day-trips and revisited favorite places in nature like Þingvellir and Kleifarvatn. I spent time with friends and deepened my roots. I did leave abruptly and for an unbelievably heartbreaking reason, but I left feeling totally happy with this third Iceland experience. I also left this time feeling calm and content in a new way for I know I will return again.

Þingvellir National Park

Kleifarvatn Lake


detail of a grave at Hóllavallagarður cemetery

my view of the sea in front of the SÍM residency

See more pictures on Flickr here and here. I just uploaded a bunch!

Thanks for reading.

1 comment:

Hammer and Tongs said...

Absolutely beautiful place to go to, one day I will go to. Please also accept my belated condolences.