Pages

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Visiting is So Good


I have two back-to-back visiting artist engagements coming up in September. The first one happens at Rhode Island School of Design in Providence, RI, followed by another at Grand Valley State University in Allendale, Michigan. At RISD I will be talking with students in a professional practices class lead by Jennaca Davies. I plan to describe the path of my career and the choices I've made and talk about how I combine residencies, teaching and travel with jewelry and art making. The following week I fly to Michigan to teach Renee Zettle-Sterling's students. This two-day workshop will focus on process and I will guide students through a variety of hands-on exercises and discussions about how and why they make their work. I will also give a lecture about my own work. I'm pretty excited about both opportunities because I love being a visiting artist. It's always a great way to get deep with students in a short period of time and I'm always surprised with what I walk away with. It's a also a great time to connect with colleagues who also happen to be friends.

Rhode Island School of Design
Visiting Artist
Thursday, September 18
Providence, RI

Grand Valley State University
Visiting Artist
Thursday, September 25 & 26
Allendale, Michigan

Thanks for reading.

No comments: