Pages

Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Setting the Stones


I've been working with a client over the last few months on a commission. Jason asked me to make an angular cuff similar to one I made last year. He gave me a set of sentimental river stones he had collected to include in the design and requested a scratched and distressed surface on the final piece.


This was a challenging and fun bracelet to make. I don't often set stones, especially ones as small as some of these. Soldering all five to the cuff simultaneously was a bit intense, but tremendously gratifying. I remember exclaiming "badass" when I was done. The cuff itself is scored and folded, which is probably my favorite technique. It was a great place to start. I'm very pleased with the piece and Jason was equally as happy.

Working with Jason was also a pleasure. He was open to my ideas and communicative and even made me a short video showing how my copper maquette fit his wrist. It was the perfect visual aid considering I made the piece long-distance.




Check out more process images on Flickr.

Thanks for reading.

No comments: