Pages

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

More Jewelry RVK Part 2


Also on my last day in Reykjavik I went to the National Museum of Iceland to see two jewelry exhibitions: Icelandic Silverwork and A Part-Time Silversmith. The first exhibition shows a variety of traditional silver jewelry and objects and focuses on the techniques used to create them. I was astonished by the collection, the details, all that handwork...I just wished I could have gotten closer to the pieces. The other exhibition recreated the studio of turn-of-the-century metalsmith, Kristófer Pétursson. Everything was labeled perfectly and because none of it was behind glass, I was able to get really close. I loved seeing the personal details and the signs of years of use marking all the tools and benches.






More images on Flickr.

Thanks for reading.


No comments: