Pages

Friday, March 1, 2013

Guest Star #114...Mary Lee Hu


Today's Guest Star, Mary Lee Hu, was my professor at the University of Washington when I was working on my BFA from 2000-2002. We have kept in touch over the years and I recently saw her at the Yuma Art Symposium. She introduced me before my lecture and it was quite an honor. It also got me thinking about her work. As I look back I see her influence in my own jewelry--especially my interest in line, shape, and visual movement. Her pieces are intricately woven using very thin high-karat gold wire. The technique is labor-intensive, but meditative. I like the repetitive texture and voluminous quality of the resulting pieces. In addition to her curvilinear forms, I also included one of her geometric chains. The chain is in the forefront of my mind as I prepare to teach my chains class several times this year and as I create on new body of work (more on that soon, promise). This particular chain is very appealing to me because of its graduated and dense design. Mary's work is exquisite in pictures and in person and I feel fortunate to have studied with her.

Thanks for reading.

No comments: