Pages

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

M HKA



I went to Antwerp's contemporary art museum, M HKA, and saw two exhibitions featuring work by artists I had never heard of before. "Jimmie Durham-A Matter of Life and Death and Singing" is a retrospective of American artist Jimmie Durham and "New Art in Antwerp, 1958-1962" includes work by a group of Europeans. Durham "describes his work as a reflection on how different societies behave and think." (from the exhibition program) I found his work to be challenging to look at and to understand but I did find it interesting. There is something there that draws me in but I can't put my finger on it, although I can say I think it begins with his choice and use of materials, his collections, and his writings.

Jimmie Durham, Sweet Light Crude, 2008
Jimmie Durham, They Almost Fit, 2000 (left)

"New Art in Antwerp" includes pieces that seem more formal in nature and have a craft aspect to them that I can relate to. One of my favorite pieces was a kinetic sculpture by Daniel Spoerri, titled "Autoheater." The simple repetitive movement and accompanying sound was so appealing to me. I could have stood there for hours.

Daniel Spoerri (Switzerland), Autoheater, 1959
Dieter Roth (Iceland), Untitled, 1959

Heinz Mack (Germany), Lichtrelief, 1958

Thanks for reading.

No comments: