Pages

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

De Kathedraal

One of the first places I visited when I got to Antwerp was the Cathedral of Our Lady, a gothic/renaissance/baroque/rococo church built from 1352-1521 (almost 170 years!). It houses some of Peter Paul Rubens most important works including "The Raising of the Cross" (1609-1610), "The Resurrection of Christ" (1611-1612), and "The Descent from the Cross" (1611-1614). It was incredible to see these masterpieces! For me, it's like seeing a beloved rockstar or actor in person. I studied art history in college and found it very moving to see these paintings nearly 20 years later. The cathedral itself is fantastic--a mostly white interior filled with beautiful natural light. The space is massive, but it felt inviting to me. 
The Raising of the Cross


Another favorite part was a small area where the "Tabernacle in the form of the Ark of the Covenant" is located. Lining the space were red velvet banners embroidered with what looks to me like metal thread. I was able to get really close to these so I could study all the stitches and details.


More images on Flickr.

Thanks for reading.

No comments: