Pages

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Paris! Part Trois.


I went to the Louvre for a few hours on Friday with my dear friend Lisa who just so happened to be in Paris at the same time. We began by visiting a Gerhard Richter exhibition of drawings and other works on paper. His drawings are just what I love--they are minimal and pull me in because of their simplicity. Then we weaved our way through room after room in search of the museum's jewelry collection, all the while taking in masterpieces like the Mona Lisa and Winged Victory. Among the jewelry and accessories we saw were a large collection of ancient fibula, an incredible moveable gold ring with stones, and the French Crown Jewels. My absolute favorite piece was this giant bow and tassels brooch (see above) worn by the Empress Eugenie. It was made in 1855 by Francois Kramer. Stunning!
Gerhard Richter, Drawing II, 2005, graphite on paper

fibula
moveable ring
Winged Victory
one excellent vegetarian club sandwich

After a lovely lunch at Angelina’s (see sandwich above), we went to Centre Pompidou to see another Gerhard Richter exhibition, this time a retrospective called "Panorama.". It was wonderful to see so many of his works in one place including my favorites, the Cage paintings.


(Thanks to Lisa for the awesome photos of me and my sandwich and me and my Richter!)

More images on Flickr.

Thanks for reading.

No comments: