Pages

Monday, December 12, 2011

Teaching Week, Part 1: Spring Concentration

I will be teaching at Penland this Spring for eight weeks! My concentration class is titled "Beginning Jewelry: Technique, Process, Design." Here's the class description from the catalog:

"This class will start with basic metalsmithing, including sawing, filing, and soldering. We will then go further with scoring and folding, mechanisms, bezel setting, and many other techniques in between. With a focus on craftsmanship and design, students will learn to make jewelry and explore the artistic process. Class time will be complemented by sketchbook assignments and studio visits with area jewelers." 

At this point I believe the class is full, an exciting prospect for me. I'm looking forward to teaching for eight weeks because it's a chance to really get into things. I'm planning to focus time on each basic form of jewelry (rings, necklaces, earrings, bracelets, brooches), while students explore their interests/inspirations and creative habits. Students will be encouraged to work in their sketchbooks, I'll give slide talks on contemporary and historical jewelry, and we'll talk about setting up a basic studio.  

I'm also very happy that I get to see the Lady Slipper (above) one more time before I leave...

Thanks for reading.

1 comment:

Lisette said...

Awww man I may just need to take it, I plan on coming back next summer - hopefully on scholarship again.
Congrats on the teaching workshop and all the amazing things happening for you!!!